A number of celebrities from China have gained success internationally. From actors to singers, Chinese celebrities have influenced people all around the world. Below are six Chinese celebrities who have had global success:
- Li Yuchun | Li Yuchun, also known as Chris Lee, is a singer and songwriter, as well as an actress and fashion icon. She became one of the top pop stars in China in 2005 after winning a nationwide singing contest called Super Girl. She has since released 52 top singles. She has signed deals if L’Oreal and Coca-Cola, and has also starred in a Givenchy campaign.
- Jet Li | Jet Li began training in wushu, a performance version of various martial arts styles, at age eight. By the time he was in his teens, Jet Li had become a national coach, and he starred in his first movie before he was 20. Jet Li became the biggest star of the early 1990s Kung-Fu boom. Jet Li’s first English-language role was in “Lethal Weapon 4″ in 1998, and he has been in a number of Hollywood blockbusters since.
- Fan Bingbing | Fan Bingbing is an actress, pop singer, and television producer. Her rise to fame in Asia occurred when she was in the mega-hit TV series “My Fair Princess” in 1998 and 1999. In 2003, she starred in “Cell Phone,” which would go on to become the highest-grossing Chinese film of the year. She has received awards for films such as “The Matrimony,” “Lost in Beijing,” “Buddha Mountain” and “Double Xposure.” She was also in the Hollywood blockbuster “X-Men: Days of Future Past” in 2014.
- Jackie Chan | Jackie Chan began his film career in Hong Kong’s martial arts cinema industry. At first, he was churning out low-budget films at a rapid-fire pace. Many of the films fared well, and he scored a large breakthrough with 1978 hit “Drunken Master.” In 1980, he made his directorial debut with “The Young Master.” While it took a good deal of perseverance, Jackie Chan ultimately became famous in the U.S. too with hits like “Shanghai Noon,” “Rush Hour 2,” “The Tuxedo” and “The Medallion.”
- Zhang Ziyi | Zhang Ziyi is one of the most well-known Chinese actresses in the West. Her film debut was in “The Road Home” in 2000 and her first appearance in an American movie was in “Rush Hour 2″ in 2001. She is best known for her roles in “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Hero,” and “House of Flying Daggers.” She has also appeared in “Memoirs of a Geisha” and a remake of “Horsemen” with Dennis Quaid.
- Donnie Yen | Donnie Yen is a martial artist and Hong Kong action star. His family moved to Boston, Massachusetts when he was eleven, but at the age of sixteen, he went to Beijing Wushu Academy so he could train Chinese martial arts under Master Wu Bin, who also coached Jet Li. He intended to move back to the U.S, but ended up meeting famous Hong Kong action filmmaker Woo-Ping Yuen and worked with him during his early film career. Donnie Yen appeared in the film “Once Upon a Time in China II,” in which he had two breakout fight scenes with Jet Li. They are still regarded as a couple of the best fight scenes ever created in Hong Kong film history.
There are a number of international stars who have come from out China. These notable people are just a few of the many Chinese celebrities who have gained success throughout the world.
Rick Garson is driven by the possibility of innovation and growth in the entertainment industry every day. He has been at the helm of groundbreaking projects, including the famed Billboard Music Awards. Interested in learning more about Rick Garson, entertainment, travel, and entrepreneurship? Please visit RickGarson.com and RickGarson.net!